Monday, July 5, 2010

It's OK to Want It

Photo by Stephen Correy
From the time I first met my dear friend S., over 7 years ago, she was very open about wanting to meet someone and get married. She would talk about it openly, with just about anyone.

At the time I was slightly embarrassed for her. I mean, she was saying OUT LOUD that she wanted to get married! Wouldn't people think she was desperate?

Looking back, my reaction is puzzling. What's shameful about wanting to find a life partner? People have been getting married for hundreds of years.
What's wrong with wanting it, and what's wrong with admitting that you want it?

Absolutely nothing, in my view. I’ll be honest, I don’t know any single women older than 25 who isn’t on some level looking for “the One”, the person they’re going to (enthusiastically) be with for life. I think it’s just the way most of us are wired. Companionship. Love. Affection. Commitment. Security. Fun. Sharing. All good stuff.

Looking back, I admire S.'s clarity, her confidence, and her openness. I think she was wise.

And her wedding was a blast.